Tuleap Query Language (TQL)¶
The Tuleap Query Language is a pseudo-language to search items in the platform. As of today only artifacts in trackers can be retrieved.
TQL on reports¶
TQL can be used in “Expert” mode on tracker’s reports in the search area. The saving of the query matches the usual saving of the report.
Currently, the language supports:
- Logical operators: AND, OR
- Parenthesis to force precedence
- Comparison operators:
- For string and text fields: =, !=
- For date, integer and float fields: =, !=, <, <=, =>, >, BETWEEN()
- For list fields: =, !=, IN(), NOT IN()
- Comparison values:
- For string and text fields: all
- For integer fields: string convertible to integer, integer
- For float fields: string convertible to float, integer, float
- For date fields: string convertible to date, NOW()
- For list fields: all matching list bind values
- For list fields bound to users: string using user names, MYSELF()
- For list fields bound to user groups: string matching either the name of a user-defined (“Static”) user group (e.g. "Customers") or matching the translated system-defined (“Dynamic”) user group name (e.g. "Project members").
- Dynamic value for date fields: NOW().
- start_date > NOW() matches all artifacts where start_date is greater than the current time (time when the query is displayed).
- You can use interval periods with NOW(), for example submitted_on > NOW() - 1m will matches all artifacts that have been created during the last month. The supported specificators are: years (y), months (m), weeks (w) and days (d).
- Dynamic value for list fields bound to users: MYSELF().
- assigned_to = MYSELF() matches all artifacts where assigned_to is equal to the current user.
Therefore to construct a query you can combine these elements.
(summary = "soap" OR summary = "rest") AND description = "documentation" AND story_points BETWEEN(3, 8)
Be careful, you must use the name of fields and not the label to construct queries.
Sending the query to the server can throw the following errors:
- The query syntax is incorrect (e.g. if you forget a closing quote)
- The name doesn’t match any existing field name
- The value is not defined for the list field (e.g. assigned_to = "non_existent_user")
- The dynamic value is not supported for this field (e.g. text_field = NOW())
- The comparison operator is not supported for this field (e.g. list_field >= 3)
- The empty value is not allowed for this comparison (e.g. date_field BETWEEN("", "2017-01-18"))
- The query uses MYSELF() and the current user is not logged in (when browsing a Tuleap platform as an anonymous user)
- The field type is unsupported
- The query is too complex
The query is too complex when it exceeds a limit. This limit is defined by SiteAdministrators on SiteAdmin > Tracker > Report.
For a better usability in building query there is a syntax highlighting and an auto-completion (ctrl+space on field names).
Moreover to know allowed fields there is a select box with all usable fields. If you click on one of them the field’s name is introduced in the query.
When searching on date fields using TQL, you should be aware of the sometimes subtle differences between the various operators. We have found this diagram helpful. Here, we use all available operators supporting date fields and a given date (“2017-01-18”) and represent the period that will be selected as a result. For example, date_field > "2017-01-18" means date_field is later than 2017-01-18 23:59:59, while date_field >= "2017-01-18" means date_field is later than or equal to 2017-01-18 00:00:00